Today was one of my first visits to an Estate Auction. I am so glad I finally made it to one. This was by far a great experience. There were lots of antique furniture, jewelry, pictures, silverware and more. I had a set price on what my max bid would be for the auction, so I was ready to get the bidding started. Although, i didn’t know quite what I would find. During the preview auction, there was a chic desk that I had my eyes on. The claw feet attached to the legs of the desk was a bonus! I placed my bid on the desk and won the bid. And here it is:
Here are some tips if you have never been to a live estate auction before:
- Contact the auction coordinator and ask them if they have a “preview” sales period. Some auction events will allow their guests to preview pieces for auction beforehand. This will give you an idea of what is available and allow you to preselect pieces before the auction begins.
- Don’t feel pressured to buy an item just for the heck of it. To get the most bang for your buck, select pieces you can use in your home or maybe “gift” to others.
- Bring a snack, some auction can take up to three hours and it can get exhausting based on how many items are being sold.
- If you see a large piece of furniture, don’t worry about how you will fit it in your car. Ask if there are delivery services available.
- Last but not least, enjoy the experience. There are some rare treasures at these auctions and it may just be your lucky day!